Re: [SLUG] Network Traffic Capture / replay

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 11:41:44 EDT

On Mon, 23 May 2005, David R. Meyer wrote:

> Is there an Open Source utility that will allow you to capture network
> traffic (complete with source and destination IP as well as type of
> traffic and port) and then play it back (not just log it) later for
> review?
>
> Is this something Snort or Ethereal will allow you to do?

With Ethereal, I would capture on the machine with the NIC (a 486, and it
handled the load easily), and (separately) display and filter elsewhere. I
was never very good at Ethereal so I captured everything and then filtered
with grep and friends.

Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic
communication?  Consider this: A: No
                               Q: Can I top post? from nick@xx.co.uk