Re: [SLUG] Network Traffic Capture / replay

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 21:31:03 EDT

On Monday 23 May 2005 11:13, David R. Meyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about capturing / replaying network traffic.
>
> Is there an Open Source utility that will allow you to capture network
> traffic (complete with source and destination IP as well as type of
> traffic and port) and then play it back (not just log it) later for
> review?
>
> Is this something Snort or Ethereal will allow you to do?

What's more is that you can capture a tcpdump ( -w filename) on any unix
platform and then play it back using ethereal on your local machine. It can
even graph it live. With filters so you can breakout f.ex. smtp.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.