Re: [SLUG] inbound connection attempt gets past hw firewall

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 16:49:30 EDT

On Mon, 23 May 2005, perthie wrote:

> you should enable some kind of restriction on who can connect
> wirelessly to the router. here, we prefer to use mac filtering over
> ssid's for performance reasons, but mac filtering tends to be more
> difficult to configure unless youre used to centralized management.

And guests (wanted or unwanted) can't connect, and MACs can be spoofed. If
that's not an issue for you, or one you're prepared to tackle every time you
have a new device, go for it. But don't rely on it alone. I'd say, big
encryption keys and authentication.

> as it stands, from what you've told us, it sounds like anyone can park
> their car outside your driveway,

Or on the next street over with a directional antenna

> connect to your router, and therefore every system on your lan.

Goodbye TOS, hello judge.