Re: [SLUG] inbound connection attempt gets past hw firewall

From: perthie (perthie@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 15:51:10 EDT

--- Sick Twist <thesicktwist@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: perthie <perthie@yahoo.com>
> >To: slug@nks.net
> >Subject: Re: [SLUG] inbound connection attempt gets past hw firewall
> >Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:44:16 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> >is the linksys still running the default configuration (you
> definately
> >dont want to run it that way, as linksys by default is wide open)?
> do
> >you have something running on port 40379?
> >

> I have set up static IP addresses for all the computers on the
> network. I
> turned DHCP off on both routers and have changed the default IP
> address on
> the BEFSR41 to 192.168.1.2 (it basically functions as a switch behind
> the
> RT31P2). On the RT31P2 I have one port being forwarded to my linux
> box for
> gtk-gnutella and a small range of ports being forwarded for bit
> torrent.
> 40379 is not included for either of those. Since this morning
> Firestarter
> has also detected instrusion attempts from different IP addresses on
> these
> ports as well:
>
> 41244
> 41465
> 41461
> 40745
> 41530
>
> Could these other attempted connections be generated from
> GTK-gnutella
> somehow? As far as I know it should be using one port.
>
> -Jonathon

you should enable some kind of restriction on who can connect
wirelessly to the router. here, we prefer to use mac filtering over
ssid's for performance reasons, but mac filtering tends to be more
difficult to configure unless youre used to centralized management.

as it stands, from what you've told us, it sounds like anyone can park
their car outside your driveway, connect to your router, and therefore
every system on your lan.