Re: [SLUG] inbound connection attempt gets past hw firewall

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 15:19:51 EDT

>From: perthie <perthie@yahoo.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] inbound connection attempt gets past hw firewall
>Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:44:16 -0700 (PDT)
>
>is the linksys still running the default configuration (you definately
>dont want to run it that way, as linksys by default is wide open)? do
>you have something running on port 40379?

I have set up static IP addresses for all the computers on the network. I
turned DHCP off on both routers and have changed the default IP address on
the BEFSR41 to 192.168.1.2 (it basically functions as a switch behind the
RT31P2). On the RT31P2 I have one port being forwarded to my linux box for
gtk-gnutella and a small range of ports being forwarded for bit torrent.
40379 is not included for either of those. Since this morning Firestarter
has also detected instrusion attempts from different IP addresses on these
ports as well:

41244
41465
41461
40745
41530

Could these other attempted connections be generated from GTK-gnutella
somehow? As far as I know it should be using one port.

-Jonathon