Re: [SLUG] Cordless Keyboards/trackballs and Linux

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 10:55:53 EDT

Chuck Hast wrote:
> Folks,
> I have a nephew out in Oklahoma who is really getting into Linux, both he
> and his wife. He asked me this question, and I have never used one of these
> things so not sure how to answer it, thought i would toss it out here to see
> what you all have to say
>

>> I've been half-heartedly looking at cordless keyboards and
>>tracballs. Most of them say they have drivers for M$ and Mac OS. I
>>haven't seen any that specifically say that they will work with any
>>Linux distro.
>

> There are some that have been on the market long enough that I assume
> that they have drivers for them under Linux, but can not say for sure since
> I have never tried to use one of these things.
>
> Any recommendations out there, are there some that work?

If the mouse/keyboard if of the type that plugs into a USB or PS/2 port,
it should work fine on Linux. The main difficulty is in getting any
extra keys to work, which is not all that difficult, but not automated.
The idea is to use the .Xmodmap file to map keycode to X11 keys. Then
you setup your window manager to trigger when one of those keys is received.