[SLUG] Lockups on shutdown

From: Russ Wright (rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 15:33:03 EDT

Hello Folks

I have an odd PC problem. Occasionally during shutdown my computer will
lock up.

To be more specific:
I am running Fedora Core 3
Kernel: 2.6.11-1.14_FC3
Nvidia accelerated drivers
I am using Gnome desktop.

Hardware is pretty standard:
Pentium 4
Asus Motherboard
Nvida Ge-Force 5200 video card

The lockup happens in Gnome when I select shutdown and press the OK
button. Mind you it seems random this does not happen every time. The
icons and toolbars disappear and it plays the logout sound and then
locks up tight. I have no keyboard control and the only way out is to
hold the power button down and force it to shut off.

I'm not even sure where to start. I cannot place a specific event such
as any specific software update that caused the issue.

What logs could I look at?

Is there any logging I could turn on?

Regards
Russ