Re: [SLUG] Lockups on shutdown - SOLVED!!

From: Russ Wright (rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 08:35:39 EDT

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 15:33 -0400, Russ Wright wrote:
> The lockup happens in Gnome when I select shutdown and press the OK
> button. Mind you it seems random this does not happen every time. The
> icons and toolbars disappear and it plays the logout sound and then
> locks up tight. I have no keyboard control and the only way out is to
> hold the power button down and force it to shut off.

Okay I made some discoveries. Last night I switched over to console
mode by doing CTRL-ALT-F1 I logged in as root and issued a #shutdown
now command. The box started to shut down and then kernel panic.

This morning I ran the yum update and a new kernel was installed. The
install of a new kernel forced a re-install of the NVIDIA driver. I
decided to install version 7167 instead of 7174 and things are nice and
stable now.

Regards
Russ