Re: [SLUG] isorm?

From: Mavrick (icebergwaltz@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 09:01:52 EDT

On 5/25/05, Daniel Jarboe <daniel.jarboe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback Eben. The system it is replacing was originally
> purchased in 1996, and is a bit of a frankenstein. I'm much more of a
> software guy than a hardware guy and to be honest I wasn't sure if the new
> components would all fit together the same with the old pieces/case.
>
> Just a quick rundown, the original power-supply blew up a few years ago, and
> I got an equivalent used for $2 on ebay which has held up since so far.
> Also dead is the original cpu fan and cdrom, and lately it's been taking
> weird and unpredictable i/o errors on different optical devices and
> hard-drives that no amount of juggling master/slave and using different ata
> ribbon cables has been able to remedy. The case has been, well, "shortened"
> in order to fit into a tight space. I plan to scavenge what I can from it
> (soundcard, 10/100 ethernet cards, etc), but it's time for a replacement :).
>
> After a day or two of looking around this place seems to be fairly
> competitive with net-only stores (though their quote to upgrade from 256MB
> to 512MB is priced too high, they are offering it for free as of 4 days ago
> if you ask for it
> http://forums.isorm.com/viewtopic.php?t=4). I was just
> checking to make sure that nobody knew of any much better deals or places or
> had any reasons to avoid these guys. I do value the warranty and it being
> local, and it seems competitively priced. Thanks for your help and
> suggestions!
>
> ~ Daniel

Daniel,

Just wondering, but I am a curious fellow. Sans large power tools or
perhaps the Jaws of Life, how exactly does one "shorten" a PC case.
Inquiring minds want to know!

Good luck on the hunt for a new system. I would recommend buying the
parts on line (newegg.com is good) and putting them together myself,
but you stated that you weren't a hardware guy (I can respect that)
and I like tinkering with that stuff. Trust your instinct and you
probably won't go wrong.

Eric