[SLUG] Was: isorm Now: IBM reseller offering

From: Macy1 Hallock (macy1@hallock.net)
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 12:10:21 EDT

Mark Polhamus wrote:

> Nicholas Finzer wrote:
>
>> You might want to try IT Xchange, a local company that sells new and
>> refurb systems cheap. They have good deals and a lot of their stuff
>> is IBM. www.itxchange.com <http://www.itxchange.com>
>

> Local? Their corporate headquarters is in Ontario Canada and they
> have "Sales and Distribution Centers" in North Carolina and the UK.
> (http://www.itxchange.com/itxchange/OnlineHelpPages/help_contact_detail.asp)
>

> But their prices for laptops are interesting. Anyone else have any
> experience with this company?

No experience, but they appear to fit the model of most IBM commericial
resellers/refurbishers/brokers. I wouldn't be afraid of them.

The current specials list an R40 model with 1.8ghz Celeron 20gb HD 256mb
RAM 15" XGA (1024x768) and internal 802.11b for $625
(This R40 includes XP Pro plus intel 10/100 ethernet port, internal 56k
winmodem and CD)

I know the IBM Thinkpad R40 series quite well, it's a midsize/midweight
notebook.
IMO this is not a bad deal on a well built notebook, as long you pay by
credit card, so you have complete recourse if they do not ship or it is DOA.

I'd upgrade the memory, and possibly add a CDRW, and R40 accessories are
readily availble item on Ebay.

Yes, you can buy an R40 that's a bit faster for slightly less money on
Ebay, but you'd have less recourse.
I've bought many Thinkpads on Ebay with no problems, however I'm an
experienced IBM VAR and Ebay buyer/seller.

Also: This vendors A30 desktop refurb specials are also worthwhile and
A30's are solid desktops in my experience.
I've used many A30's for XP and Linux installations with good results.

--
>>> Macy Hallock  Hallock Consulting  Lutz, FL + Medina, OH <<<
Tel 813-632-2988 Cell 813-493-8899 Email macy1 (at) hallock.net