Re: [SLUG] Subversion Question #2

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 12:43:51 EDT

On 5/26/05, Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> Next thing on subversion. I just killed the central subversion
> repository and created a new one with:
>
> svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /home/paulf/svn
>
> So now, I'm going around importing projects. Like this:
>
> cd /home/paulf/src
> svn import payroll file:///home/paulf/svn/payroll
>
> All appears to go okay. So I kill the payroll directory and:
>
> cd /home/paulf/src
> svn checkout file:///home/paulf/svn/payroll payroll
>
> And a copy checks out as expected. Everything okay.
>
> According to the Svnbook, I would expect the svn repository to have
> subdirectories for each project. But they're not there. Even if I make
> these subdirectories myself (manually), nothing goes in there. Moreover,
> when I import and checkout the projects, each successive project gets an
> incremented project number, one series for all projects. Instead of a
> separate series of revision numbers for each project. In fact, in
> looking through all the files in the repository, I don't see a single
> file that even contains the names of my projects inside.
>
> I'm still reading the Svnbook, but if anyone has an answer to why this
> is, please let me know.

If you read about fsfs, you'll see this is normal. Each of the those
numbered files is the delta (change) between previous commits. You
can't access those files without subversion. In short, you're not
meant to monkey around in the subversion repository as if it were a
normal set of directories and stuff. It's not. Essentially subversion
is using the filesystem as a database (as opposed to the creeping
horror of fsbdb).

In one of my svn repos (actually an svk repo, but that's the same thing):
% ls revs | wc -l
1042

And, lo and behold, I have 1042 revisions in there. One rev file per
reversion, which contains all the changes between it and the last
state of the file system.