[SLUG] Re: Inserting the entire SLUG list archives into MySQL

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Sun May 29 2005 - 15:28:53 EDT

On 5/29/05, Dylan Hardison <dylanwh@gmail.com> wrote:
> For a long time, I've had a mysql database of the entire SLUG mailing
> list in MySQL. Well, at least the slug mailing list since I
> subscribed. Well, that was lost in my semi-recent disk crash. Thus I
> downloaded the MBOX data from the nks archives and I've re-writeten my
> script to insert into sql. Said script is running now, very fast.

Oh, rather, there was only 130ish folders to parse. All the .lock
files that were created confused me. Oops.
Anyway, already found out some interesthing stats about the mailing list.
Right now I'm trying to write something that traverses the threads
(using MessageId and In-Reply-To:).

The most popular email clients for this list seem to be: Mozilla,
Evolution, and Mutt.
This number is rather rough, as the MUAs tend to have very verbose
user agent strings, often including major, minor, and sub-minor
numbers, dates, or CVS numbers.

Does anyone but me find this interesting? :)