Re: [SLUG] Dual-Boothing Knoppix and WindozeXP

From: Tim Jones (slug) (slug@timjones.com)
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 00:24:35 EDT

I have done it with Knoppix 3.3, 3.6 and 3.8... .WIth 3.3, and 3.6, it
was difficult because you had to fdisk, mke2fs, and copy stuff over,
then chroot to your target directory, and pretty up /etc/fstab and
/etc/lilo.conf by hand. But with 3.8 there is knoppix_install (?)
script that walks you through all of that and it is a lot better.

My secondary Linux PC at work was done with 3.3. My Sony VAIO laptop
was installed with the 3.6 method, and my son's new system was done two
weekends ago with 3.8.

I hear 3.9 is out now, but I have not had a chance to try it (I don't
build new systems all the time, maybe just 3 or 4 a year).

After I get it booting, I change /etc/apt/sources.list to match what I
pull on my plain-Debian/unstable systems, and it starts to look more and
more like plain debian after each apt-get dist-upgrade. Of course, no
amount of upgrading from debian.org will get rid of every single knoppix
package, but it's a good way to install it.

By the way, now that the new Debian Sarge installer is basically done,
it will get you where you want to go too. But a year ago, you had to
choose between a Knoppix install and a very old Debian installer.

tlj