RE: [SLUG] Apple shifts to Intel

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 19:52:00 EDT

>>Steve Jobs announced 3 days ago that Apple will be shifting vendors from
IBM
>> to Intel for all of their cpu's by 2007.

I suspect Apple will pit Intel vs. AMD for better pricing/delivery/terms.
Plus, I suspect they will try to develop the ability to run Windows apps on
OS/X. The ability to run both would be a powerful incentive for many
customers to switch. I hope Apple does this by contributing to the open
source movement, rather than develop closed-source code.

This move does create the future option for Apple to offer an "open" version
of OS/X that could run on name-brand hardware (Sony, HP) or "clones". Apple
could offer a hardware component that their OS depends on, and offer both as
a package to OEMs. Of course, they could open it up for the entire x86
clone universe, but that's not been their style.

The interesting question becomes: what will it take for Linux x86 to run
OS/X x86 apps?

Will this lead to more Apple developers porting apps to Linux?

Ken Elliott