RE: [SLUG] Apple shifts to Intel

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 22:04:28 EDT

DRM sucks.

Apple is making a mistake. PowerPC is wonderful hardware. Apple has
always had super quality hardware (except when they didn't, heh). I
don't see the kind of quality out of Intel's chips as I have out of IBM.
Heat, power consumption, speed, etc etc...IBM's got 'em beat. The only
problem is that Apple is caught up in the speed race: Intel goes "twice
as fast" as a PPC chip...but Apple never says "We get more work done per
clock cycle than Intel chips." Too bad. Apple going with commodity
hardware means loss of quality.

I don't see Apple licensing the OS to anybody, either. Steve Jobs
ignored Bill Gates back in the day before MS developed Windows. When
Apple did license their OS, they lost money. (Go figure, sell more
units, make less money...) Of course, knowing Apple, they'll put some
kind of proprietary chip in the machine that runs the OS and put
something in the code to make sure they only work together.

As for putting some other OS on it: hey, that's easy. No big deal. But
why? BSD can run Linux apps natively in some cases without any kind of
recompile, and it's not a difficult matter to get some things running
natively without any kind of emulation, like Mac On Linux. So you run
the two OS's side by side without having to switch of the machine.

After writing all this, I see why people are worried about Linux. I'm
worried about Apple, actually. Linux maintains all of its wonder,
advantages, and openness, but Apple loses somehow. Ick. This whole
business is Ick. Ick Ick Ick. Ick.

Russell

Russell Hires <rhires@earthlink.net>