Re: [SLUG] Apple shifts to Intel

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 11:10:37 EDT

> DRM sucks.

 And if history is any indication, it will only be a matter of time before
there is are workaround. It likely won't be easy, though (solder a difficult
to come by mod chip, or something similarly out of reach for most).

> Apple is making a mistake. PowerPC is wonderful hardware. Apple has
> always had super quality hardware (except when they didn't, heh). I
> don't see the kind of quality out of Intel's chips as I have out of IBM.
> Heat, power consumption, speed, etc etc...IBM's got 'em beat. The only
> problem is that Apple is caught up in the speed race

 Pentium-M has changed the landscape for power consumption by Intel. Laptops
are a growing market, and IBM has no low-power alternatives near as far
along as Intel. I suspect clock rates have less to do with it than you
think, and I think IBM missed the bus in this area.
 It will be interesting to see if the hardcore Apple users feel it still
"drives like an Apple" with the hardware changes to come.
 ~ Daniel