Re: [SLUG] Apple shifts to Intel

From: Max F Lang (mflang@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 21:32:37 EDT

On Thursday 09 June 2005 20:24, Scott f wrote:
> They have been developing open source and an x86 version.
> http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/darwin/

That's the base OS, not Aqua. And Aqua is what most people see and
lust for. I don't believe Jobs will ever release or sell Aqua as a
separate component that could be run on another base OS that isn't
Apple produced. With Darwin, you're stuck with X.

Also, as pretty as Aqua interface is, and as much as I love Apple
for releasing both Mac OS X and Aqua (and the Xcode IDE), Apple
was, is, and will always be a hardware company first. They live and
die by the hardware they make and sell. Mac OS X will always be
tied to Apple hardware and Apple-compatible hardware. So just
because they may be going to more of a commodity chip, doesn't mean
we'll ever be able to run Mac OS X on clone hardware. If Apple
doesn't make it or approve it, it ain't gonna ever run on Apple
hardware. Sorry, that's life as an Apple owner...