Re: [SLUG] Samba help

From: John Pugh (jpugh@NOVELL.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 09:54:40 EDT

>>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 6:05 am, crackerdog@gmail.com wrote:
>
> \\Dlinux is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
> this network resource. Contact....
DLinux is the netbios name you put...try first to access it via \\IPADDR\sharename (in your case David?)

> On my windows box I do have zonealarm running, in case that matters, but
> I have it set up so that my local network can access my shared
> resources. I can ping my Linux box from windows and I have also been
> able to ftp to the box without any roblems.
ZoneAlarm is smart and depending on security levels will block SMB. I think LOW is the only level that it let's SMB thru. I would simply turn it off to eliminate ZA as the problem.

> Installing stack version of /etc/pam.d/samba...
> error: %postun(samba- 2.2.7a- 7.9.0) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
Not good.

> Using Samba this way, I am able to get access to my shared drive on
> Windows XP. But when I try to get access to the Linux shared drive I get
> the message I previously wrote about above.
Expected...smbclient and smb server are different and mutually exclusive.

I would suggest that you 1st make sure the necessary smb components are running. Then try to access it via the windows exploder to browse to it. If that isn't working then put the ipaddr in the "address" for windows file exploder and see if that will bring up your share.

SAMBA isn't the easiest beast to get to run with manual config...my SUSE Pro box using Yast is hard enough. Use man pages and default configs and you will eventually succeed.

JP