[SLUG] Samba help

From: D. Sandmann (crackerdog@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 06:05:41 EDT

I am new to this group and I am also pretty new to Linux, although I
have been working with Unix for quite sometime, although not as a sys admin.

I am trying to get my Windows XP to be able to access my Samba Drive. I
can see my Linux box but when I click on it I get the following message:

    \\Dlinux is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact....

On my windows box I do have zonealarm running, in case that matters, but
I have it set up so that my local network can access my shared
resources. I can ping my Linux box from windows and I have also been
able to ftp to the box without any roblems.

Now to give you some background as to what I have for Linux. I am
running Red Hat 9. Doing a uname -a I get linux 2.4.20-8.

I was originally running Samba version 2.2.7a and I upgraded that to
3.0.14a. But when I updated it I got the following messages:

    [root@linux root]# rpm -U samba-3.0.14a-1.i386.rpm
    warning: samba-3.0.14a-1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
    f17f9772
    warning: /etc/samba/smb.conf created as /etc/samba/smb.conf.rpmnew
    Moving tdb files in /var/cache/samba/*.tdb to /var/lib/samba/*.tdb
    Moving /var/cache/samba/brlock.tdb to /var/lib/samba/brlock.tdb
    Moving /var/cache/samba/connections.tdb to
    /var/lib/samba/connections.tdb
    Moving /var/cache/samba/locking.tdb to /var/lib/samba/locking.tdb
    Moving /var/cache/samba/messages.tdb to /var/lib/samba/messages.tdb
    Moving /var/cache/samba/ntdrivers.tdb to /var/lib/samba/ntdrivers.tdb
    Moving /var/cache/samba/ntforms.tdb to /var/lib/samba/ntforms.tdb
    Moving /var/cache/samba/ntprinters.tdb to /var/lib/samba/ntprinters.tdb
    Moving /var/cache/samba/printing.tdb to /var/lib/samba/printing.tdb
    Moving /var/cache/samba/share_info.tdb to /var/lib/samba/share_info.tdb
    Installing stack version of /etc/pam.d/samba...
    error: %postun(samba-2.2.7a-7.9.0) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

Is the error above ok, or is it something to worry about?

After installing that version I ran smbclient as follows:
     smbclient <remote Win XP dir> -U <login>

Using Samba this way, I am able to get access to my shared drive on
Windows XP. But when I try to get access to the Linux shared drive I get
the message I previously wrote about above.

The following is what I have for a config file currently:

==================== Begin smb.conf ===========================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
    workgroup = MSHOME

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    server string = Linux

netbios name = dlinux

#============================ Share Definitions ========================
; share name
[david]
; text to list when browsing the share from a client
comment = For testing at this point!!
; absolute path to the disk directory
path = /home/david
; should the share be writeable?
writeable = yes
; user allowed to connect to the share
; the `@' is used to designate a unix group
valid users = @david
; enforce file locking?
locking = yes
; default file creation permission mask
create mode = 0660
; default directory creation permission mask
directory mode = 0770

I have been working on this for a while, but can't seem to figure out
what is wrong.

Thanks for any help,
David