Re: [SLUG] Samba help

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 17:15:12 EDT

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, D. Sandmann wrote:

> ==================== Begin smb.conf ===========================
> [global]
>
> # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
> workgroup = MSHOME
>
> # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
> server string = Linux
>
> netbios name = dlinux
>
> #============================ Share Definitions ========================
> ; share name
> [david]
> ; text to list when browsing the share from a client
> comment = For testing at this point!!
> ; absolute path to the disk directory
> path = /home/david
> ; should the share be writeable?
> writeable = yes
> ; user allowed to connect to the share
> ; the `@' is used to designate a unix group
> valid users = @david <--
> ; enforce file locking?
> locking = yes
> ; default file creation permission mask
> create mode = 0660
> ; default directory creation permission mask
> directory mode = 0770

Where is the group "david" defined? IMO, it is a bad idea to use the same
name for a share and for a group, as it's easy to get confused. If you want
only you to be allowed access (and you log into Windows as "david", and are
registered with Samba the same way), I recommend changing the indicated line

valid users = david

(you don't have as much control over Netbios names)

Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"