Re: [SLUG] Which Laptop?/

From: 404 (matthew@textbox.net)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 13:50:23 EDT

I'm currently using a Toshiba Satellite 1115-S123, it's a few years old
and ready for a new battery so I have been looking in to something new.
I recently picked out a 500MHz G3 iBook for my girlfriend as she needs a
portable for a work trip - she will be working in Scotland for the next
two months - and since she is already using an iMac I figured an iBook
would be the best for her. Since she never owned a computer before
dating me it was easy to get her using something with power, we first
tried Linux but it was a little much for her. She liked it but was
having problems with installing apps and administration of the computer.
I got her an iMac (since it's still a *NIX powered OS) and she picked it
up very fast. She still wants a Linux box to play with but her daily
driver is the Mac. She said there is no way she would ever go back to
using windows.

My satellite is 1.5GHz/512MB and the iBook I used was a 500MHz/576MB, I
really didn't feel any difference in the devices. If you do decide to go
with a PowerPC machine, make sure you get PLENTY of RAM. The more the
better.

After using the iBook for a few days I am also thinking of switching
over to a Mac. While I liked the challenge of getting all the hardware
on my laptop working (DVD, 56k winmodem, etc) I do like the Mac's
"everything just works" setup. Once you install fink
(http://fink.sourceforge.net) you have all the other Linux apps you
need, via CLI or a synaptic-like front end.

I plan on getting a PowerPC iBook, I rather not using an Intel powered
iBook "just because it's faster". Most of the Mac people I have talked
to use a Mac because it's RISC powered, the move to Intel has upset most
of them to the point where they are going to buy a new Mac - the last
PowerPC powered macs available in their configuration (some used
iBooks / PowerBooks and a few had iMacs)

Here are some spec pdfs from powermax.com, smalldog.com has better
prices

http://www.powermax.com/pdf/Snow_iBook_Specs.pdf - G3 iBook
http://www.powermax.com/pdf/PowerBook12in_03_Specs.pdf - G4 PB
http://www.powermax.com/pdf/PowerBook15in_specs_all_models.pdf - G4 PB