Re: [SLUG] remote box screwup

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sat Jun 18 2005 - 11:53:51 EDT

On Saturday 18 June 2005 10:40, Eben King wrote:
> I used to leave a script in ~ on the school Solaris boxes called "sl"
> which listed all the files in the caller's ~ as if it were deleting them
> (but didn't acttually do anything). In those machine's
> /etc/profile-supplied $PATH, "." was listed (last, but still). Bad admin,
> no cookie.

Hehe,

Many years ago at the tail end of building a huge all encompassing system for
a customer, I added a little "feature".

When a user issued Exit, and it was on a Saturday, where certain rare dates
would coincide, it would execute this little module. It was only happening
once or twice a year, and only if was running on a Saturday. Which I knew the
boss did frequently.

So many months later I get this call from the panicked owner. He had come in
and done some work, and when he entered the exit command it said:

Please confirm erasing all data (Y/N)?

He of course pressed N. Waited a bit while the computer just sat there...

And then the message came back which said:

All data successfully erased!

Needless to say he was all confused. He never noticed that there was a Delete
all data function, nor could he figure out how he managed to press Y to
erase.

Fortunately it was only messages. Nothing was erased at all. Once he settled
down he laughed and thought it was a good practical joke.

Now what I did not say was that he was also an old friend and we we
occasionally had our families together for weekends and stuff, so he was not
just another customer.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.