Re: [SLUG] atk.pc

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 10:55:45 EDT

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 07:54 -0600, Chuck Hast wrote:

> It shows a list with a check box along side of the list, the one that I need
> is checked as atk, I tell it to install it and it goes off and does so
> (according
> to YaST)

Chuck,

you can confirm this by running rpm -qa | grep -i atk from a shell.

Levi is right. You definitely need need the atk-devel package for the
atk.pc file.

here's a list from a SuSE 9.2 box...notice the last entry.... :^)

mbranda@it100:~> rpm -ql $(rpm -qa | grep -i atk-devel)
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atk-enum-types.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atk.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkaction.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkcomponent.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkdocument.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkeditabletext.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkgobjectaccessible.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkhyperlink.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkhypertext.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkimage.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atknoopobject.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atknoopobjectfactory.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkobject.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkobjectfactory.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkregistry.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkrelation.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkrelationset.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkrelationtype.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkselection.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkstate.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkstateset.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkstreamablecontent.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atktable.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atktext.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkutil.h
/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkvalue.h
/opt/gnome/lib/libatk-1.0.la
/opt/gnome/lib/libatk-1.0.so
/opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig/atk.pc

> but when I go and run the configurator no joy and if I do a find
> there is no joy either, I have even gone and found the RPM on the DVD
> but still no go... I am totally konfused...

> Missing apt-get too..

If you want to try to use apt-ish type package management, you need to
install something like "apt4rpm". apt itself handles Debian (.deb?)
style packages and unless they've changed it....to my knowledge it won't
do anything with rpm's or rpm based distros for that matter. The
alternative rpm management is "yum" I think....which RH Fedora was using
unless they've changed that too. YaST does do a good job though. If
you're trying to install the latest Evolution or Evolution-connector
from source, TTBOMK not even apt can help you there (except for geting
the source package I think). The package management system doesn't know
about you trying to custom compile something. They're 2 independent
systems with the exception that after you install the atk-devel
"package" the source ./configure will recognize that the file exists
where it should be.

> Looks like
> YaST does not deal witih dependencies real well.

See prior statement. YaST does fine with the several thousand packages
it has access to. What I realized along the way is to make an rpm out
of the source once it installs correctly (if it's not included with the
distro or the distro package is way behind the times). Then YaST knows
what to do with it and what dependencies it has via the rpm system. And
it gives you a way to uninstall since some sources don't give you a
"make uninstall" or equivalent.

HTH.

Mike Branda