Re: [SLUG] atk.pc

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 12:38:33 EDT

On 6/28/05, Mike Branda <mike@wackyworld.tv> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 07:54 -0600, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > It shows a list with a check box along side of the list, the one that I need
> > is checked as atk, I tell it to install it and it goes off and does so
> > (according
> > to YaST)
>
> Chuck,
>
> you can confirm this by running rpm -qa | grep -i atk from a shell.
>
> Levi is right. You definitely need need the atk-devel package for the
> atk.pc file.
>
> here's a list from a SuSE 9.2 box...notice the last entry.... :^)
>
> mbranda@it100:~> rpm -ql $(rpm -qa | grep -i atk-devel)
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atk-enum-types.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atk.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkaction.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkcomponent.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkdocument.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkeditabletext.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkgobjectaccessible.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkhyperlink.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkhypertext.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkimage.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atknoopobject.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atknoopobjectfactory.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkobject.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkobjectfactory.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkregistry.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkrelation.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkrelationset.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkrelationtype.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkselection.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkstate.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkstateset.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkstreamablecontent.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atktable.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atktext.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkutil.h
> /opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0/atk/atkvalue.h
> /opt/gnome/lib/libatk-1.0.la
> /opt/gnome/lib/libatk-1.0.so
> /opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig/atk.pc

Yep it was the atk-dev package, now it found that one...

> > but when I go and run the configurator no joy and if I do a find
> > there is no joy either, I have even gone and found the RPM on the DVD
> > but still no go... I am totally konfused...
>
> > Missing apt-get too..
>
> If you want to try to use apt-ish type package management, you need to
> install something like "apt4rpm". apt itself handles Debian (.deb?)
> style packages and unless they've changed it....to my knowledge it won't
> do anything with rpm's or rpm based distros for that matter. The
> alternative rpm management is "yum" I think....which RH Fedora was using
> unless they've changed that too. YaST does do a good job though. If
> you're trying to install the latest Evolution or Evolution-connector
> from source, TTBOMK not even apt can help you there (except for geting
> the source package I think). The package management system doesn't know
> about you trying to custom compile something. They're 2 independent
> systems with the exception that after you install the atk-devel
> "package" the source ./configure will recognize that the file exists
> where it should be.

Yes I know that it does not use the apt manager, that is a Debian package for
.deb files. I find that when I use apt-get on my knoppix and debian systems it
definitly does fnid all the bits and pieces, whereas with YaST I still
have to go
out and find things at times, maybe different environments but that is what
I have noticed.

> > Looks like
> > YaST does not deal witih dependencies real well.
> >

> See prior statement. YaST does fine with the several thousand packages
> it has access to. What I realized along the way is to make an rpm out
> of the source once it installs correctly (if it's not included with the
> distro or the distro package is way behind the times). Then YaST knows
> what to do with it and what dependencies it has via the rpm system. And
> it gives you a way to uninstall since some sources don't give you a
> "make uninstall" or equivalent.

OK, so what you do is once you have it all in there you create a new rpm
of that package with all of it's dependencies so that you do not have that
issue later on, or on removal.

I like SuSE, it is nice clean and works quite well, but this is the first time I
have had to dive for bits and pieces to get something up and running like this
under SuSE, I was hoping to find the Evolution 2.2.1.1 rpm so I could do the
install from YaST but so far have not been able to get my hands on it.

Paul told me I needed Red Carpet, but when I went to Novell to get it
the download
page reported a 404, so I guess they have moved it. Ohh well having to do it
the hard way is a education, only thing is that I have had to do a load of this
over the past 4 days and I guess I am sort burned and need to back away
from it a bit, but the down side is that as soon as I walk away from it I want
to walk back and make it work.... So I am my own worse venom...

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;