Re: [SLUG] Another SUSE Question: setting up an install server

From: Zoltan Patay (zoltanpatay@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 11:12:50 EDT

With suse it is fairly simple:

Suse can do an install from FTP, HTTP or NFS.

Here is a little info on how to do it:
http://susefaq.sourceforge.net/faq/inst_media.html

Basically you set up the mirror, make it aviable on your LAN (I
suggest NFS) then when you start the install you do an expert NFS
install.

I used to mirror the SuSe FTP site (for both i386 and amd64) and do an
NFS install. This was done when you could not donwload the CDs. It is
also possible to do an FTP install straight from SuSe's ftp site using
a small 50MB boot cd.

It is also possible to mirror the updates, then update your Suse boxes
aginst your local Suse mirror. Much faster, saves bandwith, and time.
Installing new software can also be done using your local mirror (no
need to feed CDs).

If you need more info email me.

A great site where mot of your questions are answered is here: