Re: [SLUG] Samba File sharing

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 17:54:10 EDT

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 13:59 -0400, calebsr2k wrote:
> Hello everone,
> I have linux installed on three machines in my home. All of the
> machines can access the internet. I have a router that use to share my
> broadband connection. My problem is that I have files on my desktop
> that I want to share with the other two workstations. I have tried smbk4
> and keep getting authenication errors. I am using the same username and
> password on all of the systems and have currently dropped the firewall.
> Can anyone tell me what I am missing or at least point me to a place
> that may be able to get me started on the right track?
>

> Thank you In Advance

Caleb,

I agree with Nicholas and Daniel. With experience in both SAMBA and NFS
in a mixed OS corporate environment, I can tell you that Linux to Linux
_should_ be NFS. Linux to Linux via SAMBA benchmarks horribly. There's
a lot of overhead crap that isn't needed between to *nix boxes.
Although there is a user space NFS server, the common and fastest way
is built into the linux kernel.

Here's the NFS HowTo

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/

Basically, all you really need is an /etc/exports (very very simple
syntax) file and then you can start the nfsd daemon and mount it from
the other end. I usually use the rsize=8192,wsize=8192,tcp options when
mounting. Seems to bench better with netperf. The only thing to watch
for is that the permissions are set by the files on the server (unless
you do an all_squash,anon_uid option or something) not your mount
options.

Mike Branda Jr.