Re: [SLUG] internet for my little boy.

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 15:09:19 EDT

michael hast wrote:

> Hey, everybody. I just set up a Knoppix-box in my six-year-old's
> room. Needless to say, he's thrilled. I know that there's a bunch of
> garbage on the net that is unfit for little eyes, and I don't want to
> have to be answering tough questions too soon. What is the
> best/easiest/most secure way I can give him internet access under
> strict control without literally watching over his shoulder? He only
> ever really goes to a handful of websights that are educational or
> game related, and I want him to feel free and unrestricted with it,
> and I want to be able to add more access as root as he matures and
> developes proficiency with Linux. Does anybody have the solution that
> I'm looking for? So far, he's fairly content with the slew of games
> that I installed on the machine, but he's asking more and more when
> he'll get internet and email.

I am not a parent so I feel wierd saying this, but I feel it must be
said as I watch and take care of little cousins and nephews from time to
time that are 6 to 10 years old. So I say to you "WHAT!!!!"

You are going to let an internet pc in his room by himself and he is 6.
I dont care what software you use. My solution. is keep the internet
off that computer unless you are in his room to share the experience,
that is the only real way of taking care of business. Software like TV,
Video games, and others, are not subitutes for parenting.

An offline pc is safe pc.