{SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] internet for my little boy.

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 14:57:28 EDT

Robert Snyder wrote:

> I am not a parent so I feel wierd saying this, but I feel it must be
> said as I watch and take care of little cousins and nephews from time
> to time that are 6 to 10 years old. So I say to you "WHAT!!!!"
>
> You are going to let an internet pc in his room by himself and he is
> 6. I dont care what software you use. My solution. is keep the
> internet off that computer unless you are in his room to share the
> experience, that is the only real way of taking care of business.
> Software like TV, Video games, and others, are not subitutes for
> parenting.
>
> An offline pc is safe pc.

Robert, I see your point, but I feel that it deserves a respectful
rebuttal. Society has these kids growing up so fast that if you pull in
the reigns too tight they will only REALLY rebel when they are given the
opportunity. I've got to admit that I'm scared stupid about the idea,
but rather than sheltering, I want to guide. I have no intention of
letting the www raise my kid, but I feel like in today's world, it's a
necessity to be literate in those things.
    When a child is reared in a home where alcohol is a big no-no, the
chances of them growing up an alcoholic are exponentially greater than
if they are modeled positive and healthy drinking behavoir as they grow
up. I want to watch intently what he's doing without him feeling like
I'm watching over his shoulder. Not that I don't want him to feel
accountable, just that I don't want him to feel oppressed. Life and the
nature of existence are oppressive, and the home should be nurturing and
open. I want him to feel comfortable enough with us to be able to talk
to us about tough issued when he's a teenager without having "cool"
hippie-parents but rather having respectable guide-parents with absolute
moral resolve that will understand and gently correct on pertainent issues.
    I want to start him on the internet with extremely strict control
and slowly, and with guidance ease off the restrictions so that he is
CAPABLE of making good choices once he is unrestricted. Whether I like
it or not, someday, I will not be able to control what he does and does
not do or look at, but if I build the right foundation for him now, he
will be prepared to be a productive and well-balanced member of society
with morals and standards unlike most of the kids who grew up in my
generation. You are right that an on-line pc is not safe, but the world
is not safe, for that matter. If you shelter until a certain age and
then drop them into the world, they will fail. They will get into debt
that will take decades to pay off, they will wreck their cars, they will
develop addictions to chemicals and porn, they will contract diseases
and go to jail simply because they were not prepared to face the
difficulties.
    When the child is six and asking to be able to use the internet, it
is the right time to grant it--kind of. I basically want to set it up
to where the browser will only go to certain prescribed web sites at
first, and through guidance and education, ease him into full acces over
the next ten years. I couldn't watch his every move and action until
he's eighteen even if that would do him any good. It's a difficult
balancing act to be a good, effective parent.