[SLUG] {SPAM?} cpu speed and bios limitations

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 17:02:22 EDT

    Hey, everybody. Of the three active computers in my household, we
have a 2.93gh HP and two 500mh celerons. I also have another toy-box
with a 400mh cel. and my brother has a 500mh celeron. The latter four
are all socket 370's. I've seen socket 370's going up to 1.4gh and I
have to admit that I am intrigued with the idea of an upgrade like
that. The problem is the BIOS's don't go that high. My brother's box
actually had the 400 in it and we recently installed the 500. When we
went to the bios to set it at that speed, we noticed that it only went
up to 466mh. We set it there, shrugged our shoulders and rebooted the
hd with the installed knoppix. Much to our surprise, during the boot
sequence, it showed us that there was indeed a 500mh processor in
there. Everything ran fine and noticeably faster than before. So, is
it running at 500mh, or at 466 but knowing that it's actually a 500mh
processor? If I pick up a 1gh+ processor and slap it into my old
beater, will it run at 1gh+ without reflashing the bios, or will I have
to to get the most out of it anyway? I'm about to pick up the cheapest
out-of-spec processor that I can find and experiment with it, unless of
course any of you have been down this road and can tell me what I'm up
against.