Re: [SLUG] Printer woes.

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 16:58:40 EDT

Logan Tygart wrote:

>http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Photo_R200

Yeah, that's actually where we got the info that led us to this point.
The last posting on that page is the one success story that the guy says
he accomplished by loading the drivers from code to the Gimp. We tried
this, and either he's full of it, or we don't know what we're doing. I
was kind of hoping that there would be a way to use an emulator to run
the driver cd that came with the printer and bypass everything else.
Like I said before, we tried with Wine, but it didn't work. Are there
other emulators that we might try? We had thought about doing a
dual-boot with XP with the intent of running the printer under XP. We
could edit our images in either OS, save them to a common fiel partition
and use XP to pront our cd's. The problem there is that we have yet to
set up a successful dual-boot system. The hard drive is plenty large
enough for the partitions, and I know that in the largely automated
install, it's supposed to just make it work, but for some reason, it
hasn't. I know that this sounds like two seperate issues, but the only
reason that we have to run Windon't is making that printer work
properly. Currently we have two machines running HD installed Knoppix,
and a newer machine running Debian 3.1. I know that once we finally
reach the solution, it will seem so easy we'll feel stupid, because
that's how every problem has been so far. Linux is fairly easy when you
know the tricks, right?