[SLUG] {SPAM?} Update on cpu experimenting

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 21:20:16 EDT

    Hey, all.
    Remamber when I was asking about a cpu upgrade that is not supported
by the Bios? Well, I may have a startling answer. My machine has been
a 500mh celeron, and the bios did not support anything faster. Today, I
installed an 800mh celeron processor (many thanks again, Bill) and fired
her up without changing anything else. When the bios came up, it said
that the processor was incompatible(well, duh) and that if I wanted it
to do anything, I was going to have to upgrade the bios. Then, it
continued to boot. I literally held my breath until it brought up the
KDE desktop. Of course, part of me was waiting for the error message
that said that the machine would explode in 10, 9, 8, 7...
    But in the end, it booted up everything just as normal. As I went
through menus, it did seem faster, although not as much as I would have
expected for over a 50% jump in cpu speed. I pulled up the process
table on the KDE menu and it did show less load on the cpu during
functions that would have redlined with the old 500. Then, I went into
the KinfoCenter, and checked to see what speed KDE thinks it is.
Apparently, KDE believes this processor to be 594.939mh.
    Curious. So, what does this mean? I got a 100mh upgrade in CPU
speed that by any rational should have been 300mh or a non-running
machine, right? I was expecting an error message saying, "Kernel
Panic!" or "Danger, Will Robinson!" or possible even, "What are you
doing, Dave?" But no. Apparently, when you take a machine not capable
of running faster than a 500mh processor, and cram an 800mh processor in
it, it becomes a 600mh machine. Any ideas or wisdom? I really would
like to know what is going on here. Otherwise, I guess it's a 600mh
machine now. I've got a couple other boxes that also take a socket 370
that should not be able to run this thing, so the experimentation
continues anyhow.
    By the way, I am composing this email on the very 600mh machine.

   --Michael