RE: [SLUG] {SPAM?} Update on cpu experimenting

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 19:33:40 EDT

>> Apparently, when you take a machine not capable of running faster than a
500mh processor,
>> and cram an 800mh processor in it, it becomes a 600mh machine. Any ideas
or wisdom?

Hi Michael,

The actual speed the process will run depend on the 'bus speed' and the
'multiplier'.

An 800 MHz Celeron on a 133 MHz bus must have a 6X multiplier. Plug that
into a 100 MHz motherboard and it will run at 600 MHz (6 x 100MHz = 600MHz).
Check your BIOS and jumper setting to see if you can change the bus speed to
133 MHz. You'll need to check to see if your RAM is 133 MHz before you make
this modification.

I suspect your motherboard supports bus speeds of 100 MHz or 133 MHz,
selected by a jumper, BIOS setting or magic (the not-good kind, for us). So
if your motherboard is running 100 MHz and you set the multiplier for 4X,
your processor will run at 400 MHz. Set the multiplier at 5X, and your
processor will run at 500 MHz. Set the multiplier for 6X and watch the
processor turn to smoke. Woops.

Some processors have a multiplier set at the factory, and it's not
adjustable (usually - see below). These are considered "Locked" processors.
Fine for most, but hot rodders buy motherboards with highly adjustable bus
speeds. They want unlocked chips, so they can experiment with the clock
rate to achieve higher performance, fame, and all the attention one gets by
having a 'faster' chip than the next guy. The problem with unlocked chips
is the user has to set the clock speed or it will run slower than rated.
AMD Athlons are often left at the slowest speed, and lowest multiplier
(factory default). Some builders didn't know you had to set those things.
A locked chip will usually run at the proper multiplier. But a multi-speed
motherboard needs to be set to the proper speed, based on the RAM chips
speed, and processor speed.

AMD produced some lower cost Athlons that were exactly the same as the
higher priced, faster Athlons. They locked the lower cost chips at a lower
multiplier - if you wanted more speed, you had to buy the higher-priced
unlocked version. Some pretty sharp guys discovered you could take a pencil
and draw a line between two contact points on the underside of the chip.
That would unlock it, and you could crank it up to the speed of the more
expensive version.

Ken Elliott