Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} Update on cpu experimenting

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sat Jul 16 2005 - 17:54:28 EDT

>The actual speed the process will run depend on the 'bus speed' and the
>'multiplier'.
>
>An 800 MHz Celeron on a 133 MHz bus must have a 6X multiplier. Plug that
>into a 100 MHz motherboard and it will run at 600 MHz (6 x 100MHz = 600MHz).
>Check your BIOS and jumper setting to see if you can change the bus speed to
>133 MHz. You'll need to check to see if your RAM is 133 MHz before you make
>this modification.
>
>I suspect your motherboard supports bus speeds of 100 MHz or 133 MHz,
>selected by a jumper, BIOS setting or magic (the not-good kind, for us).

I know that I cannot adjust the setting from the bios. I have no idea
how a jumper setting is, and I don't practice voodoo or santeria, so I
hope it's not magic.

>So
>if your motherboard is running 100 MHz and you set the multiplier for 4X,
>your processor will run at 400 MHz. Set the multiplier at 5X, and your
>processor will run at 500 MHz. Set the multiplier for 6X and watch the
>processor turn to smoke. Woops.

That all makes perfect sense. Just remember, before November, I was
every bit as computer literate as Abraham Lincoln. This is all new to
me. One of the major reasons that I went with Linux is I wasn't
familiar with an operating system anyway, so it's not like I had to get
used to another one.