Re: [SLUG] Starting over

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 12:00:53 EDT

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 10:57, Chuck Hast wrote:
> Well almost. Now that we know that the HD on my laptop is toast, I get to
> start over again. This time I do not have to deal with a pre-installed XP
> partition and other inherited issued.
>
> I have to have XP on the thing (corporate req, and have some software that
> I have to use under it).
>
> I am of course going to put Linux on it, so what I need is to get some
> input as to the best proceedure to follow in order to put the two os's on
> the machine. I plan on setting up the 80G disk as follows:
> 20G NTFS
> 20G VFAT (common access for both linux and the other os)
> 40G Linux
>
> Any recommendations or should I do something different?

When I still had a windows partition I had no problem reading and writing to
NTFS. Ext3 is so much better than ext2 that I would not use it today.

As far as space you really should not ask us, but look at your own usage and
see how much empty space you have, and adjust accordingly.

It's been known for long time that windows don't play nicely w Linux so you
should always install it first. The other thing is to use windows to create a
windows partition is what is officially recommended. (Just in case MS has
something unpredicted going on.)

If you don't trust Linux NTFS then look at how much data do you really share
between the two? Do you really need 20G? Again look at your own history.
Multimedia would be the only big files, or maybe copying DVD iso's between
the two.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.