Re: [SLUG] secure boot

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 20:54:25 EDT

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, chris lee wrote:

> basically im trying to find a way to make my computer only work if a
> certain SD card is installed.

How "not working" do you want it to be? You could put the kernel on that
card, if the BIOS supports booting from SD. Else, hack the init scripts to
try to mount the SD card (or somehow check for its existence) and go to
runlevel 0 on failure.

> i also want all the data in that computer locked so that if the drive
> is installed in another computer or a LiveCD is used the data will be
> completely unviewable.

Encrypted filesystem, whose key is stored elsewhere? Hope your drive
doesn't crash.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein