RE: [SLUG] OT: booting Mac]

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 11:49:04 EDT

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 16:25 -0500, Brian Radwanski wrote:
> I'm new to the list, last night, but couldn't resist reply...
>
> I've never once seen this behavior and I've had 3 OSX systems over the
> past 4 years. In addition, many of my friends use OSX as their main
> system and I've never once heard of anything like this.

This specific file tree problem only happened to us in OSX V. 10 thru I
think 10.1.5. after that I haven't seen it. as a side note to this,
why do the Included disk utilities not work worth a hoot but an 3rd
party disk tool (DiskWarrior) gets the job done? Norton Utilities
didn't work on this particular issue for us either.

> In my experience OSX is about as robust as you get when it comes to
> recovering from hung apps. In some cases I've had to powercycle the
> system to regain control and never once did I render my mac unbootable.
> I've never had an implicit kill render the system dead either.

In a corporate environment running Photoshop working on 2 and 3 GB art
files and other interesting things.....I've seen many Asian curse
messages after lockups. G4's and G5's. Different machines different
times. Most were software issues, a few were RAM.

> Might this be a coincidence hardware failure? I can tell you of the 10
> or so systems in my friendly circles we are 100% on hardware failures.
> Every one of them has had a bad disk, or the LED backlight went dead,
> G5's with bad backplanes that cause the system to reboot when USB
> accessories are plugged in... When people ask I always say I love the
> mac but you can expect to send it to Houston at least once. I'm 3 for
> three. Video card in my cube, LED in my 15" pbook, HDD in my 12" pbook.

We've been lucky here I guess. All our G4's and G5's have been good for
the most part. Had 1 CD-RW go bad on a G4 and one CPU on a G5 in the
last 4 years. That's it. Guess I better go find something to knock
on... :^)

Mike Branda Jr.