Re: [SLUG] USR Modem

From: Mavrick (icebergwaltz@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 12:08:13 EDT

On 7/27/05, Pete Theisen <petet@acun.com> wrote:
> SOTL wrote:
> <snip>
> > froze as solid as B12. Which reminds me what happened to B12? Did it
> > break free or is it frozen in place until October or November?
>
> Hi Frank!
>
> Mystified by this. What do you mean by "froze as solid as B12"? Google
> on B12 and you get information about vitamins.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete

Pete:

Did a little Google search and came up with the following link.
You're right, a search of "B12" by itself lets you know all you ever
want about vitamins, but Frank's message did say that this particular
B12 was "frozen in place". I just assumed iceberg and got a hit.
You'll have to dig harder if you want to know why it was named as it
was.

Cheers,

Mav

http://tea.armadaproject.org/ellwood/11.29.2004.html

"From the front seat, I could clearly see how "plugged" with ice
McMurdo Sound has become. The large B12 iceberg that broke off the ice
shelf a few years ago has started to break up into smaller bits. The
largest of those bits, however, is grounded just at the mouth of the
sound. It is blocking water currents, and thus the ability for the sea
ice in the sound to break up and flow into the ocean. Because it is
stuck in the sound, the sea ice is getting thicker and thicker. This
is having detrimental effects on the Weddell Seal population, as well
as the penguin population. The iceberg is blocking the normal travel
route for penguins to reach their feeding grounds. The penguins are
having to walk farther, thus require more nutrients, to reach their
feeding grounds from their nest sites. The young are not receiving
enough nutrients from their parents and are thus perishing."