Re: [SLUG] USR Modem

From: Pete Theisen (petet@acun.com)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 13:10:37 EDT

Mavrick wrote:
<snip>
> You'll have to dig harder if you want to know why it was named as it
> was.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mav
>
> http://tea.armadaproject.org/ellwood/11.29.2004.html
>
> "From the front seat, I could clearly see how "plugged" with ice
> McMurdo Sound has become. The large B12 iceberg

Hi Mav!

Guess it is of interest to L-heads because it impacts Penguins.

"How are icebergs named?

The National Ice Center (NIC) assigns iceberg names based on the
Antarctic quadrant where they were originally sighted. The quadrants
have a counter-clockwise division as follows:

     A = 0 to 90 degrees west longitude (Bellinghausen/Weddell Sea)

     B = 90 to 180 degrees west longitude (Amundsen/Eastern Ross Sea)

     C = 180 degrees west longitude to 90 degrees east longitude
(Western Ross Sea/Wilkesland)

     D = 90 to 0 degrees east longitude (Amery/Eastern Weddell Sea)

When an iceberg is first sighted, NIC documents its point of origin. NIC
assigns the letter of the quadrant and a sequential number to the
iceberg. For example, B-20 is the 20th iceberg found in Antarctica in
Quadrant B. When a tracked iceberg splits into two or more fragments,
each fragment is assigned the parent iceberg's designation plus an
additional letter (for example, B10a).

(Answer by NIC)" End of quoted material.

<http://nsidc.org/icebergs/questions.html>

Regards,

Pete