RE: [SLUG] Windblows background processes

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 18:31:23 EDT

>> What I would hope to find is a program that will recognize
>> the unwanted windblows background stuff and turn off anything
>> that will not cause the machine to crash.

I guess that would be the power switch... <grin>

Others have had good advice, but I would suggest going to Control
Panel/Administrative Tools/Component Services, and turning off all un-needed
services (on the "Services" branch). This is by far the safest route, since
the machine is sure to boot afterward. Naturally, if you turn off some
services (network, DHCP Client, etc) you might lose a function you need. But
that is easy to restore.

I strongly prefer Windows 2000 over XP. W2k is NT 5.0. XP is NT 5.1. It
seems to me that the .1 represents a lot of the crap I dislike, that steal
CPU cycles.

Ken Elliott