Re: [SLUG] Windblows background processes

From: xcalibre (xcalibre@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 01:08:58 EDT

I don't even have half that much in processor and I got it running fine.
Athlon 1800+ running 1.533 1.2 gig ram, WD 120 gig drive
Thunderbird Core and all runs fine.

How ever if you got huge wall paper, animated icons, pointers,
spyware, ad-ware, malware, SNorton or McCrappy antivirus,
along with some animated email program like the one with the animated guy
and all that junk then yes I could see a problem other wise not!

I even run Photoshop in a Thinkpad I1500 Celeron 466mhz, 128k cache,
512 megs ram and a 12 gig hard drive works fine, though a little slow.

I would open up msconfig and check the startup section. Then you can go to
http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm this is a mirror of the
Black Viper pages that tells you what services you should and should not
have
running.

Also for that system I would load AVG Personal anti-virus , Ad-aware, spybot
search and destroy.
Turn off all wall paper and Winblows desktop effects, and then I would
go to http://www.majorgeeks.com and get the Windows messenger removal tool.
They have a search on their site. All these are FREE as in Beer!!!!

Of course if you have McCrappy or Snorton remove them first., For Snorton
you will have to go to
symantec's site and download a utility called rnav this is the only clean
way to remove that junk.

I would also make sure you have all updates loaded.
Also depending on your video settings I would set to
16 million not 32 unless you have a high end video card.

Also make sure you do not have that screen saver or weather bug or any other
know spyware junk loaded.
Also if you have a copy of partition magic you can create a separate
partition for your swap file make it twice the size of the
ram you have nothing more. So if you have 2 gig make it 4 gig. Anything 1.5
times to 2 times the size.

This should get you rocking.

Bill Preece