Re: [SLUG] Windblows background processes

From: paddy (paddy@ij.net)
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 06:51:17 EDT

xcalibre wrote:

> I don't even have half that much in processor and I got it running fine.
> Athlon 1800+ running 1.533 1.2 gig ram, WD 120 gig drive
> Thunderbird Core and all runs fine.
>
> How ever if you got huge wall paper, animated icons, pointers,
> spyware, ad-ware, malware, SNorton or McCrappy antivirus,
> along with some animated email program like the one with the animated guy
> and all that junk then yes I could see a problem other wise not!

One wallpaper, Autum Leaves. I run ClamWin free anti virus, no Norton
or the other junk. Mozilla Thunderbird for the email client. Do not
need the animated junk.

> I even run Photoshop in a Thinkpad I1500 Celeron 466mhz, 128k cache,
> 512 megs ram and a 12 gig hard drive works fine, though a little slow.
>
> I would open up msconfig and check the startup section. Then you can
> go to
> http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm this is a mirror of the
> Black Viper pages that tells you what services you should and should
> not have
> running.

Thanks for the link. I'll use this for reference.

> Also for that system I would load AVG Personal anti-virus , Ad-aware,
> spybot search and destroy.
> Turn off all wall paper and Winblows desktop effects, and then I would
> go to http://www.majorgeeks.com and get the Windows messenger removal
> tool.
> They have a search on their site. All these are FREE as in Beer!!!!

Already have messenger removed. No desktop effects running.

> Of course if you have McCrappy or Snorton remove them first., For
> Snorton you will have to go to
> symantec's site and download a utility called rnav this is the only
> clean way to remove that junk.
>
> I would also make sure you have all updates loaded.
> Also depending on your video settings I would set to
> 16 million not 32 unless you have a high end video card.

All updates are current. I'm running a Nvidia 6600 w/ 256 mb of DDR RAM.

> Also make sure you do not have that screen saver or weather bug or any
> other know spyware junk loaded.
> Also if you have a copy of partition magic you can create a separate
> partition for your swap file make it twice the size of the
> ram you have nothing more. So if you have 2 gig make it 4 gig.
> Anything 1.5 times to 2 times the size.

I installed a 80 GB Maxtor for a scratch disk. I have a copy of
Mickeysoft's Anti Spyware loaded.

The problem is when I'm running a plug in in Photoshop CS2 the OS will
freeze right in the middle of the conversion. Needless to say, this is
not good for the code as I have to reboot the machine. It appears to be
one of Windows famous page fault's and I don't know how to cure this.

I built this box for the sole purpose of running Photoshop. If I had
known it was going to be this much trouble, I would have saved my money
until I could afford a MAC.

Thanks for the links and the input. If I try enough, perhaps I'll be
able to figure it out.

Paddy