Re: [SLUG] Biased Paranoia Against Open Source (Was Online File Archive)

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 18:53:10 EDT

Ken Elliott wrote:

> >>Every article says that Mono is going to die.
>
>Let's take a pole. Which do you think will die first?
>A - Mono
>B - Microsoft Visual Basic 6
>
>The neat thing about open source is you can't kill it. If development stops
>completely, it just grows old until someone else picks it up.
>
>But the landscape is littered with the corpses of Win 95/98/Me, OS/2,
>TopView, Actrix, etc. Closed source products die when the vendor decides.
>Too bad if you based your network on OS/2, NT4 or Mac OS. MS is telling
>developers that VB6 is soon to be no more. When you upgrade AutoCAD, the
>license says you lose the right to run your previous versions. Hope you
>don't need to access those old files you forgot to convert...
>
>Ken Elliott

Oh dont use Autocad example. Autodesk is the biggest pain in the ass
company out there. Autodesk activation and registration process makes
Windows activation look easy. At least with Autocad 2000 There was the
number CD Key then you had the acitvation key (which really did not
activate the product) then you had to call it to type in a third number
by giving the rip the other two you just put in.

Then if you use any of there plugins thats another hassle . Autodesk
with there Autocad program are way out there in left field with there
licences.

VB6 has long been dead It was dead since the get go, very few useful
applications have came out that were built with VB.

OS/2 - dont make me laugh! And I still use the damn operating system.

Mac OS Hmm It is amazing how Microsoft Office 2004 and Apple works can
still open old Claris 3 files.

Yes converting data to new formats has been a PITA for alot of people.
But any OS has that problem. You can only stay backwards compatible so
long.

Yes and when the vendor dies your screwed. So when Linux dies, were
all screwed. All OSes have there day. Win9x dead MacOS Classic Dead
BeOS dead Windows NT Based windows (it is apporaching death with in the
next 3 versions) Linux ( will eventually die making way for what ever
next generation Open source OS that will take it place.)

So what every I am rambling on about forget it as everything will die
off eventually