Re: [SLUG] debian resolution issues

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 19:44:14 EDT

>There isn't a good answer to this that I know of. You can try to write
>the other resolutions into your config file, but in order to do that,
>you need to be root. However, it's tricky to do that, and if you get the
>copy and paste process wrong, it won't work. I don't know what, if any,
>configuration program comes with the version 4 X server. You can try
>dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, but I wouldn't bet on the results.
>
>The best answer would be to run Knoppix and find the XF86config-4 file.
>Copy it somewhere. Then back up Debian's config file and substitute the
>Knoppix one for it. That assumes that Knoppix isn't running the X.org
>server. If it is, then all bets are off. The config files are named
>differently and the syntax is different. I tried to install the Debian
>X.org X server a while back, and it hacked up my display so bad I had to
>reboot. I got rid of it until it's more stable under Debian.
>
>If someone knows some other answer I've missed, speak up.
>
>Paul

    Thank you, Paul! That's exactly the push I needed. I went to a
root terminal and did dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and it brought up
the configuration thingy. I went through step-by-step, and there were
questions that it hadn't asked me in the first few installs. Once all
was said and done, I rebooted and I'm up now. That was really quick and
simple, and it sounded like you didn't think it would work even when you
suggested it. Put that one on the books for future reference! I need
to xfer the files I've got on my other hd so I can have it blank and
ready to reinstall in another machine tomorrow, and now I'm not afraid
of having to reinstall here. That's great!
                                                         ---Michael