[SLUG] Online Linux Vendors

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 19:32:20 EDT

Folks:

I've been asked several times recently about where people can get Linux
CDs. My answer is typically either to come to a meeting and hope someone
has what you want, or buy such CDs on line. (Yes, you can burn your own
CDs, but it's tedious and time-consuming, and if someone's asking me
that question, they probably don't want to go through that hassle.) On
every page of the SLUG site, there are links to four online vendors.

Well, I hadn't been to any of these vendors in a while, so I decided to
visit their sites and see what was up. I was a little surprised.

First, Linux System Labs is just dead. You can go there, and you get a
page that says "Linux System Labs", and no links to anything else.
Checking the page source for that page shows, sure enough, that's all
that there is. So LSL must be dead as a going concern.

Cheapbytes is still there and going strong.

Linux Mall is CheapBytes. When you go to it, you just get CheapBytes.

Linux Central is still there, still selling Linux products, etc.

That means we're down to two online vendors. When I say that, I mean two
vendors whose sole business is selling Linux CDs for cheap, and possibly
other Linux related items, like books.

So my question is: does anyone know of any other vendors who do this
online? If they meet the criteria, I'll add them to the SLUG website.

Paul