Re: [SLUG] Software Freedom Day 9/10

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 14:53:55 EDT

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 12:27 -0400, robin wrote:

> If someone finds a location at least two weeks in advance, I'll send out
> press releases, call local media, etc. It takes *at least* that much
> lead time to make a useful splash.

Robin, Matt, Wee Robby, and I were chatting extensively about this in
the #sslug chatroom this afternoon. There are two harmonious and
complementing paths we'd like to take with this.

1) Going big: Media presence, publicity, etc. for a centrally located
event (large bookstore (Brandon/Tampa etc.). Roblimo is interested in
tackling this.

2) Grassroots: Local grassroots demos/displays staffed by slug members
from that local area. Wee Robby and I would like to tackle a Sarasota
display. Other local areas could work out their own displays. Needless
to say, we can pool our orders for demo CDs and such with other displays
going on. Wee ordered 500 Ubuntu CDs (5.04 I guess). Also, the media
presence could advertise all the little events going on in each area.

Demos and CDs would be at all locations.

So, my questions are:
1) who wants to help out with #1.
2) if you want to do a local #2 and where at?

-Eric Jahn