Re: [SLUG] US Robotics Modem

From: Bob Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 13:52:57 EDT

> >I hope an oldtimer on this list will recall how to set up a US
Robotics Modem.
> > /* snip */
> >The issue
> >The modem is not being recognized by the operating system.
> >When I go to Kppp Configure -> Modem -> Query Modem the modem is not
> >recognized regardless of Modem Device Setting

> Which US Robotics modems are thease? Are they Winmodems?
> Are they PCI or ISA cards?
> Did you have them previously all working under RH Linux?
>
> Richard Smoot

First of all. You really should be working with external modems.
These have the female DB25 connector on the rear deck,
and a half-dozen LEDs on the front panel. Trying to work
without these (IOW, using internal modems) is like trying
to diagnose an antomobile engine fault with the hood closed.
Your internal modem could be a full version, or more likely,
a WinModem, one of the truly evil curses of the IT world (if
you don't have Windows).

The posting does not tell which type it is, from what
I could see.

Internal modems are notoriously hard to diagnose, since
the LEDs for rx data, tx data, carrier detect etc are not
present. I would not waste my time with them. But.
that's just me. Some prefer the pretty aesthetics of
unseen hardware, to the ease of getting and keeping it working.
But, I know, "Yeah they Cost Less!!" Riiiight.

Also with the external data connectors you can put a
"breakout box" in the serial line to look at the data and control
signals, sometimes this can be valuable for diagnosing.

If your modem is an external one, you should get a serial cable to
connect the modem to a terminal, or a PC running a terminal
emulator program. If the modem communicates, using the Hayes
AT command set (send AT [for ATtention] and the modem replies
"OK" You may need to send an ATZ which, as I recall, is the
reset command. ATH0 is the hangup command. You need to
establish that the modem indeed communicates, and next that
it communicates using rational parameters. The kppp app is
probably sending an initialization string, full of such things as
ATS1&C2&D1 etc (and so forth...) to set the config values. Also
to turn off echoback. The re-init to factory specs should turn that
back on so you can diagnose it. The cable would likely be a
DB9F to a DB25M. The serial link speed could be anything
like 9600, 19200 or 38400.

HTH, - Bob