Re: [SLUG] hardware issue

From: Lenny Erwine (lennyerwine@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 08:01:45 EDT

Before assuming the CPU is dead, I would also check out the power
supply. If you don't have a decent multimeter or digital voltmeter,
you can maybe see if someone at a computer repair shop can check it
for you. I had that issue on my PC.

My system was acting a little funky intermittently, and I thought that
maybe because I just installed VMware, that I just might need a little
more RAM. So, I opened it up and upgraded to 512MB. When I went to
power it back on.... nothing...

I went through the whole thing about resetting connections and
checking for broken/bent pins and all that.

Luckily I had a digital voltmeter and saw that my power supply wasn't
providing the proper voltage. It was actually fluctuating. I replaced
the power supply (actually, the whole case) and everything worked fine
after that.

One thing to note is that my fan did power up and the circuit board
LED turned on, but my IDE drives did not.