Re: [SLUG] repartitioning

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 20:45:58 EDT

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Kwan Lowe wrote:

> >> Re-writing a partition map where you have modified partition sizes can zap
> >> everything on the disk. (!!!)
> >
> > What do you mean? Simply adding or deleting a partition? I've done that
> > many times.
>
> I meant it more as a caveat... As you're aware, if you delete a partition
> then re-add with the same size then the data is usually lost (or at least
> somewhat more difficult to recover).

Sometimes, depending on your partitioning tool (and your exact mistake).
Once, I deleted a partition I shouldn't have, so I scanned the (now
unpartitioned part of) the disk with od and grep (or similar), found the
begin marker, knew how big it was (or some tool can look at an ext2 fs and
say, I forget) and readded the partition. No problem there.

> Easiest case the disk labels are lost and you need to redo them. Worst
> case is you miscalculate the offset and zap a good partition (done this).

Oh yeah. If you _really_ screw up, all bets are off.

A: Because it looks dumb and is hard to read.
Q: Why is top-posting wrong?  -- from lots42@xxx.com
        http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html