Re: [SLUG] repartitioning

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 20:16:58 EDT

> I tried. As I back up hda -> hdb nightly, they are bit-for-bit identical,
> and the OS balks at having two partitions with the same label. It would be
> easier if it worked. :-(
>
>> Re-writing a partition map where you have modified partition sizes can zap
>> everything on the disk. (!!!)
>
> What do you mean? Simply adding or deleting a partition? I've done that
> many times.

I meant it more as a caveat... As you're aware, if you delete a partition then
re-add with the same size then the data is usually lost (or at least somewhat more
difficult to recover). Easiest case the disk labels are lost and you need to redo
them. Worst case is you miscalculate the offset and zap a good partition (done
this).

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com