Re: [SLUG] Multiple Users

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 23:37:18 EDT

Russell Hires wrote:
> Hello all...
>
> So I'm reading an article, and it mentions how using the shutdown
> command you can let all the people on your system know that you're going
> to shutdown...but my question is: how many people really have multiple
> users on their system doing stuff that they need to save, clean up,
> whatever? I keep seeing the theory, but where's the practice?

:D

My personal workstation (an RH Enterprise 3 machine) regularly has three
or four users logged in, mostly as a jump-off box to other machines. One
co-worker keeps a VNC session going since it makes it easier to work
remotely. One uses a menuing script I wrote. I do all my testing on it
before deploying to AIX, Sun and Linux systems.

At my house, one development workstation often has at least two people
logged in testing web stuff remotely. A couple of my friends' college
kids also use the C compilers off and on. They login via SSH and do
their homework on the box I'm typing this message on.

Other machines are used by multiple users but have no direct logins:
file server routinely has two family members streaming DivX. Mail server
has eight active accounts. DNS is used by four Windows and multiple
Linux machines. MySQL server is used by several applications (web
comments, address book, journal, etc..